"We all know how to
communicate. The trick is to do it purposefully and well - on every
occasion that matters."
If you wrote a list of every communications - related course you've ever been on, it would probably fill a couple of pages.
Actually, effective communications skills are about doing a few things
exceptionally well, and building the confidence and ability to apply
those skills in ANY given situation - from networking to negotation,
or from breaking bad news to speaking in public.
It's called an 'Applied Communication
Skills' course...because that's what it is. The successful application
of refined skills in ANY communications context.
And in learning these
skills you'll be taking a look at some unusual...but strangely obvious...experts
from the world of literature and the performing arts, and applying
some of THEIR skills to your own communications.
Core skills include:
- Knowing exactly what you want to achieve from each and every communication
- Understanding how your personality impacts your communication
- Accurately assessing your 'audience', and what they expect of YOU
- Expressing yourself in terms of content, tone and body language
- Being confident and inspiring confidence
- Knowing how to adapt your skills to the given situation
The Impact programme covers bother written and spoken communciations in a variety of contexts.
Who is it for?
The programme is for people at all organisational levels who want
to communicate and influence confidently, leaving a strong and lasting
impression in any situation they choose, from a first meeting at a
networking event... to holding your own in a negotiation.
How does it work?
Impact runs as a three day course, with day 3 following a month after
days 1 and 2. There's an optional day focussing on written communications
after day 2
A pre-course questionnaire provides a focus for the programme, ensuring
that real issues are addressed on the course. You'll
be set a challenge to undertake in the month (or so) between days
2 and 3, based on your pre-course work and on what you've learned
And be prepared to step outside the training venue at any given time
during the programme - Yara courses are not about theoretical chalk
and talk...but about the immediate application of new skills.
What you'll learn
Let's cut to the chase: you COULD learn about every best practice
text book skill there is - unless you have the right mindset for communicating
with impact, none of it will work. So that's where we start.
On days 1 and 2, you'll learn:
- Clearly establish how you want to communicate, and why
- Develop the right mindset for communicating with impact
- Understand how to identify those situations where communications
REALLY matter, and learn to 'let go' of those that don't
- Learn to consciously switch to 'Impact Mode' and use heightened
communication skills when it counts
- Discover how your personality impacts your communication style
- Identify the barriers that stop you communicating with impact - and how to overcome them
- Realise how your emotions effect your ability to communicate well
- Examine your personal communication strengths, and learn to leverage
Relating to others
- Recognise how other people perceive you...and why
- 5 keys to genuinely understand and 'tune in' to others (they're
not the ones you think!)
- ......and how to leverage what you find out
- How to adapt your style to any given 'audience' any situation,
maintaining confidence and impact
- Learn from famous orators and speech makers - how to choose your words and shape your phrases for maximum impact
- Use drama techniques to develop confident body language that works FOR you and supports your message
- Capture acting and singing techniques to build a confident voice
- (Optional day on Written Communication with impact) 'Borrow'
from great writers, to develop compelling written communications
On day 3 (or 4, if you've taken the Written Communications option):
You'll be set a personal challenge to accomplish in the month between
the two sessions, and you'll have a chance to share your experiences
and receive feedback.
- Establish personal strategies and techniques for CONSISTENT confidence and impact in communication
- Focus on handling difficult people and situations
- Learn how to evaluate your communications impact on an ongoing basis
More on communication...
Senior Leaders might like our specialist Yara
Elite Voice of Authority programme
Those looking for an introduction to communication skills might like
Yara Essentials half day interactive seminar on Communicating
Just contact us to find out more and to discuss your priorities and requirements...